Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Potstickers Stick to the Pot

I know, right?  Shocking to me, too.

So my first thing in the kitchen while I'm home for break was to try to make potstickers.  Whoo!
Ingredients!
chopped up onion















An ENTIRE onion.  Which seemed like a lot, but whatever.
Also ginger, which I was kind of too afraid to peel so Momma did that for me.















Minced it up in the food processor.  Which, incidentally is what I did with the carrot also, even though it said shredded carrot, because that seemed difficult.  Also put in way less carrot than it called for, because, ew.











<- the least delicious part of all this.  Cabbage.  Carrots.  Cabbot.  Yuck.

Then, we sautee us some onions and ginger, add the mushrooms, which i somehow managed to avoid taking a picture of, and then the cabbot.  Everything is all warm and mushy.













Nom.

Drain the oil used to sautee and... add... more oil?  Stupid recipe.  If you wanted sesame oil, just tell me to cook it in sesame oil.  You make no sense.

And here comes the fun part!  Learning to fold potstickers.  Turns out I am not wonderful at this.  I got my premade eggroll wrappers and, being that they were square, first thought I'd use a biscuit cutter and make circles.  These were super small.  So I decided to make potstickers shaped like eggrolls















orrrr.... blobs











<- blob shape ended up working best



Fried!















Now, potstickers are complicated, because you have to put a bit of oil in, fry the bottom, and then add water to the oily pan (may cause explosions) and cover it to steam them.  And the directions SAID to let all the water evaporate so the bottom would fry a little again and get crunchy.  DO NOT DO THIS.  Or, perhaps, use more oil than I did.  They stick like gangbusters.  Is that a thing?
you should also be using a teflon pan, not a stupidface shiny pan.  Don't use them for anything, they're evil.















Oh and I made dipping sauce.  Soy sauce, red wine vinegar, sesame oil.  Momma uses it as salad dressing.

I used the remainder of the wrappers to make pierogies.  And forgot to take pictures.  They were tasty enough, but I should have made my own dough for them.  The innards were delicious, and I used the leftovers of those to make potato pancakes.  And forgot to take pictures.

BUT.  Shout-out to Momma, it was Dad's birthday, and she made a baller cake







<- the filling between the layers is frosting mixed with peanut butter mixed with crushed up reeses cups

No comments:

Post a Comment